Faster Grinding Without Burning
HPL (High Performance Lubrication) Grinding Wheels rely on premium grade CBN crystals fixed within a durable, porous, lubricated acting bonding matrix to allow substantially faster grinding of difficult materials without sacrificing quality due to wheel loading and/or part burning.
The new HPL superabrasive wheels are a significant extension of the HPB- (High Performance Bonding) Technology. HPL wheels contain components acting like a lubricant that are intrinsic to the bonding matrix chemistry and are released uniformly as the wheel breaks down. Wheels manufactured with this technology minimize friction from bond/work piece interactions, minimize heat generation, and deter the onset of metal loading into the bond structure.
HPL technology also makes it possible to implement wheel characteristics that are not economically feasible with standard vitrified bonds. The superior grit retention and lubricating properties of the bond make it possible to utilize high concentrations of premium grade CBN crystals that in a standard bonding matrix would generate too much pressure and heat. This allows Meister to manufacture wheels with superior cutting performance and wear resistance compared to the known systems.
The unique properties of these intrinsically lubricated wheels address a wide range of problems such as: burning of parts, wheel loading, excessive wheel wear due to heat related issues, and quality issues due to temperature sensitive materials.
Applications for the new HPL abrasives technology include:
- Deep bore grinding with limited coolant access, such as fuel injection nozzle components
- Blind-end bore grinding such as lash adjusters and tappets
- Heavy-stock form-grinding applications such as electronic power steering (EPS) ball-nut tracks
- Creep-feed grinding of tool steels and superalloys
- High stock removal out-of-round grinding for punches
- Any application where the concentration of oil and lubricant are less than ideal or the flow of coolant is impeded, as is the case with deep bores
HPL (High Performance Lubrication) CBN grinding wheels are available for both internal and external grinding with mesh sizes ranging from 60 to1200.